Thursday 5 March 2015

The joys of pregnancy

I had my first appointment with my obstetrician on 19th November - he was amazed, not only that I had managed to fall pregnant after what I had been through, but that I had this perfect little person growing inside me.


I was suffering morning sickness - or actually, all day nausea more to the point. I had not suffered at all when I was pregnant with my daughter, so this was something different!! As long as I had food on hand at all times, and ate something small like a dry biscuit every hour, I was fine - but if I got busy and couldn't eat something (like when I was in meetings at work), then I felt awful!!


I did ask a few questions about how my pregnancy would be managed, and I was told that I would have fortnightly checks until 3rd trimester, and that he was confident that the stitch I had in place would hold everything together.


I had my scheduled scans at 11 weeks and 13 weeks, then my next scan was at 16 weeks. At this scan I had done some more research and thought that there were other things we should be doing to maximise my chances of taking this pregnancy to term, or atleast close to. All of my concerns were brushed off and I was told that everything was unnecessary - progesterone (told it wouldn't help due to not having any cervix), clexane (not required as I was still moving around), antibiotics (only required if infection is proven), bed rest (just silly - the stitch would hold), infection swabs/checks (not required, swabs would only increase the risk of infection).


My next scan was then scheduled for 19 weeks (my morphology scan) - so already the scans had been stretched from fortnightly to every three weeks! All went perfectly at this scan, and the sonographer told us she thought bub was a little boy - although said to confirm with our obstetrician at our next appointment which was the following week.


At this next appointment, I was curious to get a detailed report from the morphology scan - particularly on how my "cervix" was holding up. I was told that the stitch was still holding perfectly fine and that everything was perfect with bub - measuring quite a decent size! I was told that I didn't need to be seen now until 25 weeks - so now my appointments were being stretched even further apart.


My stress levels were getting quite high. I just wanted to make it to viability. I was so nervous that I would lose this baby, that no one was taking my concerns seriously - but I didn't really have any other options - I had to place my trust in my obstetrician - he had been practicing for many many years, and my gyne/onc was confident that he was the best person to look after me.


On Wednesday 4th March 2015, I was sooooo excited to hit 24 weeks that I took my first belly photos!!!


Little did I know at the time, these would be my ONLY belly photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment